CP Biology Key Vocabluary List
How does cell reproduction perpetuate life?
- In multicellular organisms individual cells grow and then divide via a process called mitosis
- The cell cycle is an ordered set of events, resulting in cell growth and division into two daughter cells.
- Organisms begin as a single cell (fertilized egg) that divides successively to produce many cells
How does meiosis contribute to the genetic variability of organisms?
- Meiosis is a special type of cell division necessary for sexual reproduction in eukaryotes that provides a source of genetic variation.
- The number of chromosomes pairs in the cell is reduced to half the original number, typically from two sets (diploid) to one set (haploid).
- In humans the cells produced by meiosis are the gametes (egg and sperm cells).
- Meiosis and fertilization maintain the chromosome number through generations
CP Biology Midterm Review Packet
Westhill High School